Want discounted fares? Want to avoid the hassles of carrying cash? Smart Card ticketing is available on all services.
The initial cost is $15 — $5 for the card and $10 worth of travel to get you started. The minimum recharge amount is $5.
They can be recharged on the bus (cash only) or at Puke Ariki i-SITE, Ariki St Bus Centre, Waitara library, Bell Block library or Tranzit Coachlines.
Cards can be obtained from:
- Puke Ariki i-SITE.
- Bus Centre Ariki Street, (Dalroy Tours office), between 9.30-3.30pm Monday to Friday
- Tranzit Coachlines, 15 Sunley St, New Plymouth.
- Bell Block and Waitara libraries.
A maximum of 80 multi-trips (two 40-trip passes) can be loaded onto your card at one time.
You can use the available balance of multi-trips on your Smart Card for up to one year from the date of last use before it becomes invalid. Your Smart Card does not expire and can be used for life.
The following terms and conditions of use are deemed to be accepted by the recipient upon the issue of a Citylink Smart Card, and by all other users upon use of a Citylink Smart Card:
- The Citylink Smart Card remains the property of the Taranaki Regional Council.
- The Citylink Smart Card must be registered in the cardholder's name.
- The use of Citylink Smart Card is governed by the terms and conditions determined by the Taranaki Regional Council.
- The Taranaki Regional Council is not responsible for the quality of the service provided as a consequence of the use of a Citylink Smart Card or liable for any losses thereby incurred.
- The Taranaki Regional Council together with any participating bus company is authorised to debit bus service fees and charges to Citylink Smart Card.
- The available credit or 40-trip pass balance on a Citylink Smart Card is not transferrable and is non-refundable. No interest will be paid to the cardholder for any funds on a Citylink Smart Card.
- A Citylink Smart Card must be validated for every trip taken on a participating bus service by presenting the card in an approved manner to the on–board card reader device. The cardholder must show the Citylink Smart Card, and/or boarding ticket, upon demand by an operator, driver or authorised staff from the Taranaki Regional Council. Failure to do so may mean that an operator charges the cardholder another fare. The cardholder is responsible for the care of their Citylink Smart Card.
- Citylink Smart Cards cannot be cancelled and no refunds will be provided for lost or stolen cards.
- The cardholder is responsible for providing registration details for their Citylink Smart Card. Proof of identity will be required to obtain full registration.
- If the Taranaki Regional Council and participating bus company, or their agents determines that a card has failed and the defect was caused by the cardholder's misuse, damage or failing to comply with the terms and conditions of use of a Citylink Smart Card then the cardholder will be responsible for a replacement card and associated cost. A replacement card will incur a $5 fee.
- The card holder may reload a Citylink Smart Card on the buses or at any approved Smart Card Agency. For stored value, card reloads are restricted to a minimum of $5 (up to a maximum of $150). Forchildren 40-trip pass reloads are at the appropriate fare for their zone.
- On presentation of your Citylink Smart Card, the fare or multi-trip (40-trip pass for children) will be automatically deducted
- Authorised staff from the Taranaki Regional Council and participating bus company or their agents may confiscate any card if they suspect it is being misused or the holder fails to comply with the terms and conditions of use.
- All personal (registration) information relating to card holders remains confidential and will not be sold or passed on to any third party by the Taranaki Regional Council and participating bus company without the cardholder's consent.
- The information provided on the Application Form is gathered for statistical purposes to be used in transport planning of services and for promotional or marketing purposes.
- These terms and conditions of use may be altered from time to time by the Taranaki Regional Council. The Taranaki Regional Council shall not be required to notify any individual users of any such change, but the Taranaki Regional Council will usually give two weeks notification of any such change by publication on the taranakibus.info website
- Alterations to terms and conditions will be binding once the two week period is complete.
Lost, stolen or damaged Smart Cards
- Card holders are responsible for the care of their Citylink Smart Card. Lost or stolen smart cards cannot be cancelled and any remaining credit is non-refundable.
- Any card that has been damaged or is not accepted by the card reader device will incur a $5 replacement fee.
- If your card is damaged, the available credit on a Smart Card is not transferrable and is non-refundable except at the discretion of the Taranaki Regional Council.