We can do many things around home to reduce the amount of waste we produce.
Reduce — avoid creating waste
- Choose products that are recycled, recyclable, repairable, re-usable or refillable.
- Buy quality products that will last, rather than short-life or disposable products.
- Take a no-waste lunch to work or school – use reusable containers.
- Plan your meals and make a list to reduce food waste. See the Love Food Hate Waste website for ideas.
- Buy products with minimal or no packaging.
Before you throw anything away, think whether any part of it could be reused and given another life. See our Recycling Directory, or other options including:
- Donating to charity shops.
- Using charity clothing bins.
- Selling to second-hand shops.
See our A to Z recycling guide