The Connector runs four return trips Monday to Friday between Hāwera and New Plymouth, extending from and to Opunake on the first and last run. Info line: 0800 26 63 28
WITT students and hospital patients/visitors can travel for free but must book in advance. All passengers must book for the first New Plymouth-bound and final Hāwera-bound service of the day.
Passengers except hospital patients/visitors can book by calling 0800 26 63 28 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hospital patients/visitors should book (for all services, no matter what time of day) by calling the TDHB - Hāwera 278 9929, Stratford 765 7189 or New Plymouth 753 6139.
WITT students can use our online registration form. A current student ID card will be required when using the bus.
The Hāwera-New Plymouth Connector is operated by Pickering Motors Ltd under contract to the Taranaki Regional Council, with funding support from the Taranaki District Health Board and WITT.
Connector fares & Smart Card information
Fares to/from New Plymouth
|$15 cash||$12 cash||$10 cash||$9 cash||$7 cash||$5 cash||$5 cash|
|$12 card||$9.60 card||$8 card||$7.20 card||$5.60 card||$4 card||$4 card|
|CHILD and CONCESSION|
|$11.20 cash||$9 cash||$7.50 cash||$6.70 cash||$5.20 cash||$3.70 cash||$3.70 cash|
|$9 card||$7.20 card||$6 card||$5.40 card||$4.20 card||$3 card||$3 card|
- These fares one-way only
- Under-5s free when accompanied by an adult.
- WITT students and TDHB patients and visitors travel for free - conditions apply.
- SuperGold Card holders travel for free between 9am and 3pm and after 6.30pm. Card must be shown.
- Concession fares available for Communities Services Card holders, senior citizens, non-WITT tertiary students, Access card holders - proof of ID required
Passengers are encouraged to use Smart Cards, which bring a discount on cash fares. You will need to register and provide ID to obtain a card.
The initial card costs $45 (non-refundable), which includes single-trip credits to the value of $40 to get you started. Smart Cards can be recharged on the bus, at the i-SITEs at Puke Ariki (New Plymouth), Stratford and Hāwera, and at the Ariki St Bus Centre in New Plymouth.
Connector Smart Cards are available from:
- Opunake — Pickering Motors Ltd, 11 Tennyson St (top-ups also available), or Opunake Library Plus, 43 Tasman St.
- Hāwera — South Taranaki i-SITE, 55 High St (top-ups also available).
- Manaia — Manaia Library Plus, 22 South Rd.
- Eltham — Eltham Library Plus, 168 High St.
- Stratford — Stratford i-SITE, Prospero Place (top-ups also available).
- Inglewood — Inglewood Library and Service Centre, 25 Rata St.
- New Plymouth — Puke Ariki i-SITE, 1 Ariki St (top-ups also available), or Bus Centre, 19 Ariki Street, (Dalroy Tours office), 9.30am-3.30pm Mon-Fri (top-ups also available).
Cash and Smart Card concession fares are available for children aged 5-16 years, non-WITT tertiary students, senior citizens, beneficiaries and ACCESS card holders
To claim a concession fare you must show the driver an appropriate form of ID.
- Seniors: Super Gold card,
- Tertiary students: Student ID
- Child: Student ID on request of driver
- Beneficiary: Community Services Card
- ACCESS – ACCESS card - for people with impairments. Contact Taranaki Disability Information Centre on 06 759 0019.
Holders of SuperGold Cards can travel free on off-peak Connector services (between 9am and 3pm).
The SuperGold Card is available to all eligible New Zealanders aged 65 or over and those under this age who receive NZ Superannuation or the Veterans Pension. For more information, go to www.supergold.govt.nz(external link).