Solid waste disposal

Disposal of industry or trade waste to a land site is likely to require a resource consent (air discharge permit) covering odour, dust and litter control.

Other considerations when weighing options for disposal of wastes to land include the possibility of seepage or runoff to water, and soil contamination.

If you can’t meet any of the requirements set out below, you’ll need to take action to ensure you can meet the rules set out in the Council’s Plans, or you’ll need to apply for a resource consent. Call the Council on 0800 736 22 or email

Seepage or runoff

You can discharge solid material or wastewater from industrial or trade premises to on to land without a consent if you can meet these conditions:

  • You discharge only waste from your own property.
  • The discharge causes no ponding of water.
  • No waste or runoff enters water.
  • The discharge point is more than 25m from a waterway and more than 50 from any well or spring used as a water supply.
  • The discharge is not dangerous or objectionable and does not cause significant environmental effects.

Soil contamination

The Council requires compliance with a number of national guidelines on the concentration of various contaminants in the soil.

Agricultural production waste

The burning of waste material generated on agricultural production land is allowed without a resource consent provided certain standards, terms and conditions are met.

You may also need to consider restricted fire seasons or fire bans in place, or whether a permit is needed. See the Fire and Emergency New Zealand website link)(external link) or call 0800 658 628 for information on fire seasons, bans, and to obtain a permit if required.

Domestic waste

The burning of domestic waste is prohibited in urban areas where there is a domestic waste collection