The awards are made in five categories to encourage environmental stewardship and sustainable development of our natural resources.
Fifteen awards have been presented for 2016. Meet our award winners.
Te taiao me te pākihi – Environmental leadership in business: Recognises businesses or local authorities that demonstrate kaitiakitanga, innovation or efficiency, or an ongoing commitment to environmental best practice. Award sponsors – Ngāruahine, Ngāti Ruanui, Te Ātiawa, Taranaki and Ngāti Mutunga.
Environmental leadership in dairy farming: Recognises farmers who are committed to environmental stewardship and sustainable farming practices, in all aspects of their dairy farming activity. Award sponsor – Fonterra.
Environmental leadership in land management: Recognises land users who are committed to environmental stewardship and sustainability in their meat, fibre, forestry or other land use operations. Award sponsor – Dow AgroSciences.
Environmental action in the community: Recognises not-for-profit organisations or individuals that are taking action to protect or enhance the environment, or are increasing understanding of environmental issues. Award sponsor: Methanex.
Environmental action in education: Recognises actions in the education sector to protect or enhance the environment, or commitment to increasing understanding and bringing about change on environmental issues. Award sponsor: Taranaki Daily News.
Up to three awards are made in each category. Each award recipient receives an engraved award and $300.
Criteria & conditions
The project or activity must:
- Make a practical contribution to the sustainable management of Taranaki’s natural resources, or increase understanding and bring about change on environmental issues.
- Be sustainable over time and not require ongoing subsidy which is larger than the benefit to the community.
- Be current, ongoing or near completion.
- Be carried out in the Taranaki region.
- Previous winners are eligible for nomination after a minimum of five years.
- Recipients of other awards are eligible for nomination for these awards.
- Any individual or organisation nominated should be considered suitable to promote the integrity and good reputation of the awards.
- The selection of the awards will be final and no correspondence other than the nomination will be entered into.
- Nominees agree to participate in the publicity of the awards if they are selected.