Nominations for this year's awards have closed. Winners will be announced in October.
The awards are made in five categories to encourage environmental stewardship and sustainable development of our natural resources.
Environmental leadership in business: Recognises businesses or local authorities, or their projects or individual staff, that demonstrate kaitiakitanga, innovation or efficiency, or an ongoing commitment to environmental best practice. Award sponsor – Taranaki Regional Council
Environmental leadership in dairy farming: Recognises farmers who are committed to environmental stewardship and sustainable farming practices, in all aspects of their dairy farming activity. Award sponsor – Fonterra(external link).
Environmental leadership in land management: Recognises land users who are committed to environmental stewardship and sustainability in their meat, fibre, forestry or other land operations. Award sponsor – Corteva AgriscienceTM(external link)
Environmental action in the community: Recognises not-for-profit organisations, groups, individuals, iwi, hapū or whānau that are taking action to protect or enhance the environment, or are increasing understanding of environmental issues. Award sponsor: Methanex.(external link)
Environmental action in education: Recognises actions in the education sector to protect or enhance the environment, or commitment to increasing understanding and bringing about change on environmental issues. Award sponsor: Contact Energy(external link).
Up to three awards are made in each category. Each award recipient receives an engraved award and $300.
Additional sponsor: Todd Energy Ltd(external link)
Criteria & conditions
The project or activity must:
- Make a practical contribution to the sustainable management of Taranaki’s natural resources, or increase understanding and bring about change on environmental issues.
- Be sustainable over time and not require ongoing subsidy which is larger than the benefit to the community.
- Be current, ongoing or near completion.
- Where applicable, have 100% resource consent compliance throughout the period of the activity, or for a minimum of five years.
- Be carried out in the Taranaki region.
- Previous winners are eligible for nomination after a minimum of five years.
- Recipients of other awards are eligible for nomination for these awards.
- Any individual or organisation nominated should be considered suitable to promote the integrity and good reputation of the awards.
- The selection of the awards will be final and no correspondence other than the nomination will be entered into.
- Nominees agree to participate in the publicity of the awards if they are selected.