Do I need a resource consent?

You need to apply for a resource consent if you wish to do something that is not permitted by district or regional plans

Knowing which activities need a resource consent and taking time to prepare your application thoroughly and accurately gives you the best start.

Resource consents are not needed for some minor activities which are permitted by rules in our Regional Plans(external link). Council officers can advise you which activities are 'permitted' within our Regional Plans.

For building permits, other land-use consents or a subdivision consent, you will need to contact the New Plymouth, Stratford or South Taranaki District Councils.

We've listed examples of activities that may require a resource consent below. Sometimes an activity requires more than one resource consent. City and district councils also issue consents for some land uses and subdivisions.

If you know what consent you need, view and download our consent forms here(external link)

NOTE: Some activities may require resource consents from your local District Council as well as the Regional Council. In such situations, applications to both Councils may be processed at the same time.

Land use consents - section 9 and 13 of the RMA
  • Using land for storing animal effluent of farming
  • Using, placing, altering or removing structures or disturbing the bed of a river or lake
Discharge permits - section 15 of the RMA
  • Discharging a contaminant to land, water or air (for example, dairy shed effluent to land or dust/smoke to the air)
  • Discharging water to land and/or water (for example storm water)
Water permits - section 14 of the RMA
  • Taking, using, damming and/or diverting water (for example, irrigation or stock water).
Coastal permits - section 12 of the RMA
  • Disturbing the foreshore and/or seabed.
  • Occupying the coastal marine area.
Is my consent due to expire?

If your consent is due to expire and you are applying for a new consent for the same activity, section 124 of the Resource Management Act (here(external link)) allows you to continue exercising your consent until a new one is either granted or declined and all appeals have been settled if:

  • The new application is made six months before the expiry of the existing consents; or
  • The new application is made between three and six months before the expiry of the existing consent. In this instance, it is at our discretion to allow the holder to continue to operate.